The First Responder Refresher program is a 3-day program designed to refresh the experienced responder in his or her basic first aid skills.
Upon completion of Emergency Medical Responder Refresher training, the student will be familiar with:
- Utilizing an AED (Automated External Defibrillator)
- Managing airway problems
- Using oxygen delivery devices and apply oxygen
- Monitoring blood pressure and vital signs
- Performing initial patient assessment and ongoing assessment until advances care arrives
- Basic fundamental documentation of emergency medical care
- Managing bleeding emergencies and splinting potential fractures and related injuries
Course Length: 24 hrs
Course Required By: Required to renew the First Responder’s certification.
Prerequisites: Emergency Medical Responder Certified
- If the student has not taken an emergency medical responder refresher by the deadline of the year of expiration, they will need the initial 48-hr course.
- Professional rescuer-level CPR is a prerequisite. The student must be verified at the provider-level before entering the course. The student must present a copy of the certificate at the beginning of class on Monday to be checked off on their skills prior to the start of the first responder course or they will be denied entry into the program. CPR as a co-requisite (obtaining CPR verification during the course) is no longer acceptable.
- Prospective students must complete the criminal background affidavit in their own handwriting. Prospective students must have all misdemeanor and felony convictions reviewed by the EMS Certification Commission and by the National Registry (if applicable). They may not have a physical or psychological dependence to any substance other than those recognized as therapeutic treatments for valid medical conditions for which they are currently under the care of a physician. The applicant must also agree to an investigation by the sponsoring agency to verify these facts if the agency sees fit to initiate such an investigation.
Written Exam: Emergency Medical Responder final exam minimum passing score is 70%.
*Note: Performance skills, such as long bone stabilization, bag-valve mask, patient assessment, oxygen administration, soft tissue injury and airway management will need to be performed to complete the program.
Retraining: Bi-annual refresher training is required