In Incident Investigation, participants will practice the six steps for conducting an incident investigation using Root Cause Analysis within the Safety Management System Process. This course also focuses on techniques for gathering complete, accurate and objective incident data, establishing root causes, reporting findings and determining corrective action.
Discussion, demonstrations and exercises cover investigation and interview techniques. Participants learn how to uncover the who, what, why, when and how of each incident, and how to analyze data to prevent injuries, property damage and financial losses.
Upon completion of the Incident Investigation course, the student will:
- Participate as a team member in securing an accident scene
- Practice interviewing a partner to collect facts about what happened
- Document sequence of events based upon a personal near-miss
- Determine root causes of two major scenarios
- Recommend improvements using the cause and corrective action form
- Write an incident investigation report
- How to determine which incidents warrant investigation
- How to use effective investigation and interviewing techniques to gather complete, objective and accurate data
- How to analyzing incidents to identify root causes
- The human relations aspects of incident reporting
- What data to include in investigation reports
- Hazard control measures and follow-up
Course Length: 4 hrs
Course Required By: Industry Best Practice, OSHA
Written Exam: Written and hands-on competency will be evaluated at the end of each course. Incorrectly answered questions will be reviewed with student to ensure understanding before completion of course.
Retraining: As required by company